Substitute Teaching

Green Bay Area Public Schools is always looking to hire individuals who love to work with children. If you are interested in working in our schools as a substitute teacher, please consider applying today.

Job Posting

Directions on how to apply

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a required number of days I need to work each school year?
Substitute teaching allows individuals the flexibility to choose when they want to work and how often. However, we do encourage substitutes to work as often as available, as they are a critical part of our team in educating children. The District has a 20-day minimum that we require our subs to work.

Do I have choice in my assignment?
Substitutes are able to select which position they wish to fill. With 42 schools, students ranging in ages from 4-21, and several specialty schools and programs, there are many opportunities for substitutes to find their unique fit or enjoy a wide variety of teaching assignments. Substitutes have the availability to set their visibility of open positions and may choose to sub only at a preferred school or may choose to sub at all schools in the District.

Do I need an education degree or teaching certificate to substitute teach?
No. Individuals with an Associate degree or greater are eligible to apply for a Substitute Permit Teacher license. CESA 6 ((920) 233-2372) offers a one day class which is held one Saturday per month. View the 2022-33 training dates here. CESA 7 ((920) 492-5960) offers an online opportunity which can be completed at your own pace. Once completed and when hired, the District would endorse the sub meeting the Wisconsin Department of Instruction’s requirements to obtain a permit license.

What is the rate of pay for substitutes?
$175 per day or $87.50 for a half day.

What is the pay for long-term subbing?

A long-term subbing position is considered after 21 consecutive days in the same position. Individuals who fill a long-term sub position (usually the result of an illness, maternity leave, etc.) are paid as follows: $200 per day.

How are substitutes paid?
All District employees are paid on the 16th and last day of the month. Substitute teachers are required to use the District’s time clock system to record their time worked only for reporting purposes required under the Affordable Care Act.

Are benefits available for subs?
Substitute teachers are not eligible for benefits unless they qualify for medical insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

I am a retired teacher, but no longer certified, can I sub?
A retired teacher who is no longer certified would need to either renew their license or follow the previously described path to obtaining a Substitute Teacher Permit License.

Please contact Molly Krueger - HR Associate at [email protected] or (920) 448-2074

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.